Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi everyone! I introduce myself, I'm Pablo from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I own a very nice 1936 Chevy Master Deluxe four door sport sedan. A true survivor, almost complete, in a very good shape, and stored in a garage for twenty or thirthy years, unmolested.
We got the engine running quite well for a complete lack of maintenance car, after a few checks and repairs, but we're having some trouble with the Carter W1 319S carburetor. It seems the metering rod (75-290) and the metering rod jet are both very worn. I'm not sure if the metering rod jet is the correct one, it's marked as "94". Can someone tell me wich metering rod jet is the correct one for this model?
Another little mess, we have to replace the fuel pump for a new one, the old one was in a very bad shape. But the new one is provoking a overflood in the carb bowl, so we think it's related to the fuel pump excessive flow presure (note: we corrected the carb float level many times and it is not the problem apparently). How can we fix this? Any Ideas? Thank you!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Hi Pablo

First, I would say be sure you actually have a 319s carburetor.
It may have been changed over the years.
Check out this page by a fellow VCCA member to try to verify that:
https://www.thecarburetorshop.com/CarterChevroletW1.htm

That said, my Carter book says a 319s carburetor should have a .0955 metering rod jet with part number 120-101s.

And the standard metering rod itself should be a 75-176 (or maybe 74-144).
One size lean would be a 75-181.

The metering rod you have (75-290) is listed as the standard metering rod for the 391s carburetor used in 1938.

Hope that helps. 🙂

Ole S Olson
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you Stovblt!

As far I know my carb is a 319s; regarding this, we did our 'homework' some months ago.

I will try to find the correct metering rod and jet that you suggested to me.

Sadly, there's no correspondence for the carb W1 parts markings here, except por the metering rods. Most metering rod jets that left here, are aftermarket parts and had different number markings.

Thank you again, have a nice week!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.