Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#485254 09/10/23 02:40 PM
46chevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Not so proud that I won’t ask for help! I have a stock 1946 Stylemaster 2door with what is possibly the original starter. Starter was never very reassuring in my 27 years of ownership and turned over quite slow. After a 6 month hiatus, it now barely turns the engine over a time or two before dying. Installed new fully charged and tested battery. Nothing changed. Decided to open it up and boy it was dirty, but brushes looked good and I ohm tested armature. Ohm tests looked good. Cleaned everything, put it back together and reinstalled it making sure ground was clean. Same problem. Then tried removing spark plugs one by one. It turned over better with every plug I removed. The starter spinned the engine freely when all plugs removed so it was not an engine seizing issue. Starter Had harder and harder time turning over engine with every plug I put back in. Thought maybe it was back-pressure related (clogged exhaust) so disconnected exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold. The problem persisted. Problem seems to be compression related. Could it be that starter no longer strong enough (torque-y) to turn engine under normal compression (with all plugs installed)? Can a starter loose it’s engine turning capacity over time? Has anyone experienced this before? Anyone have an idea what is causing this? The next step I am considering is getting a remanufactured starter, which would be disastrous and near-fatal to my weekend beer stash!!! Any help greatly appreciated. Should I have posted this in the year-specific forum? Sorry for long thread but wanted to give youz guys as much detail as possible about the symptoms. Thanks a bunch.

Marcellin
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Have you checked the ground cable where it connects to the car. What gauge are your cables?

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
When you had it apart did you check the armature bushing’s to make sure it’s not dragging on the field coils.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Where does the ground cable connect on your car? Is it attached to the frame or the engine/transmission?

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
+1 dens41

loose bushings can cause this symptom

Mihaly

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Are your cables properly sized? If they are the modern red and black one they are probably to small. Also do you have a battery disconnect installed? Most will not allow the proper amount of amps to flow when starting the car, once started they will seem fine. I was able to find one rated for the amps needed that is made of brass. Unfortunately other than the made in USA markings I cannot find who made it.

Remember that a 6v system will turn over slower than a 12v system does. This is not a bad thing, just the way it is. I was having starting issues and it turned out to be a failing coil. Bought a new one from NAPA and it made a difference in not only the way it started but the way it drove.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.