Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
drtyler Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Over on the Chevytalk 49-54, it has been brought up that there was an early production change to the 1949 Styleline trunk lid. The improved lid is a bit taller. I believe it was shown in the 1949 Engineering Features.

https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/374352/

It's not my post or find, but I was wondering if anyone knew the reason Chevrolet made this change?

I've often heard of mechanical parts updated during a production year, but it seems that body part production changes (especially those which affect the design of the car) are far less frequent.

Thanks!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
First i want to say that I saw only one 1949 with the early lid when they were new in 1949.

In 1949 several GM cars revised the shape of the lid from rounding down to a more squared off shape..

I never saw a reason for this other than giving the rear end a more modern loook and it did inrease the room in the trunk slightly..

I did see more early 1949 A body Oldsmobils with the rounded lid as well as B body Buicks.

Gene Schneider
drtyler Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you Gene, that's interesting information. Every time I see a '49 Chevy, Olds A body, or Buick B body, I'll have to check for the early vs late trunk lid!

Originally Posted by Chev Nut
First i want to say that I saw only one 1949 with the early lid when they were new in 1949.

In 1949 several GM cars revised the shape of the lid from rounding down to a more squared off shape..

I never saw a reason for this other than giving the rear end a more modern loook and it did inrease the room in the trunk slightly..

I did see more early 1949 A body Oldsmobils with the rounded lid as well as B body Buicks.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.