Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#490669 03/18/24 07:47 AM
38chevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Has anybody put 6-volt wipers in a "38 Chevy? What works and what doesn't? I want to use the original knob on top of the dash so it looks original, so I need recommendations for a switch also.

Thanks, guys

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Right after I completed the first restoration in the early 70s on my "47", I bought a conversion kit from J. C. Whitney (remember them?) and they claimed all you had to do was remove the vacuum motor and install the electric motor. Well, I never could get it to work properly and I ended up throwing it away. Maybe there is something out there now that will work for you but I am still using my vacuum wipers and Rain X (sp?)

Dick

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I doubt you'll find one that gives you the switch up on the dash. But I bought one a couple years ago and installed it in my 37 Buick coupe and it's actually worked pretty good. It wasn't terribly difficult to fit in and pretty much works as advertised. I'm going to say that they've come a long way since the JCWhitney days.

You'll need 12 volts if you don't already have it. And you may be able to mount the switch up top but it was WAY too close to the wiper mechanism on mine. Probably the same on yours. Figuring the original vacuum assembly lays right up against the original switch, you're probably going to be out of luck on that. But as I said, at least it works pretty well.

I'll throw out another Food For Thought though. Most diesel vehicles have vacuum pumps used for things that require it as diesels don't produce their own. I always wondered if someone couldn't install one discreetly somewhere and use it to run your original wipers with far more vigor than factory ever could. I didn't pursue it I but I suspect it's very doable.

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. If your vacuum wiper motor works, get a double fuel pump. .
. .

Attached Images
fuel pump glass wipers .jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.