Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Thread Like Summary
Clement
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#487667 12/11/2023 7:03 PM
by m006840
m006840
I am in the process of changing the battery in my 2018 Silverado-5 years and 9 months . Just curious if others are experiencing short battery life on newer vehicles as a neighbor had to replace a 6 year old battery. ( not a Chevy}.
Liked Replies
#487730 Dec 13th a 11:49 AM
by tonyw
tonyw
In my experience here in Aus 4 - 5 years is average life but I have also seen some up to 10 year old and just starting to give trouble. As for battery cars I they are what I refer to as "fire starters", there has been that many catch fire the fire brigade attend and stop the fire spreading to anything else.
Tony
1 member likes this
#487756 Dec 14th a 12:09 AM
by Stovblt
Stovblt
In my experience battery life depends mostly on 3 factors.

First, the initial quality of the battery.

Second, the number of times the battery is cycled (discharged and then recharged).

Third, the depth of the cycles (how far it is run down on each cycle).

Initial quality now is horrible compared to the 1980's for example.
Regarding the 2nd and 3rd factors, I usually use the biggest battery I can fit to the application.
That way the depth of each cycle as a proportion of the battery capacity is much less.
Seems to make a big difference for me.

Several times now I've had a new battery almost completely discharged for some reason or other, and when then recharged, they are DONE.
They don't survive even 1 cycle that deep.

On the other hand, I have one battery on the farm from 1985 and 1 from 1997 that are still fine.
But in both cases the engines start scary fast (like 1st compression fast) and hardly cycle at all.
1 member likes this

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.