Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#284354 07/21/13 10:09 PM
niken Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hey guys I am new to the site and also a 1947 Fleetmaster 4 -dr! The gentleman I got it off didn't tell me much about it so I am trying to figure it all out. This is what I have learned so far playing around and reading the posts on here. To turn the reverse light on I pull down the knob under the headlight knob (took me a while as the knob was missing but the threaded rod was visable) There is no turn signals hence the reason I could not find the lever. I have no dash lights (don't know why yet?) The lever on the top of the dash is for the wipers (I assume it has different speeds but mine is not quite working that way) The lever labeled heat is for the heat, which blows on the windshield but do not know how to turn on the heater under the seat? I read on here that the clock gets wound so I will try that tomorrow. The horn is not hooked up and I need to trouble shoot that.
Sorry the post was so long guys, just venting with excitement!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
First I would purchase an owners and shop manual from the Filling Station. About $30 for both.
There was no dash switch for the back-up lights. The switch was located under the hood on the shift linkage. Perhaps you have an aftermarket lamp..
The heat switch is for the under seat heater. Should also have a defroster switch.
The wipers are vacuum operated (when they work) and have a full range of speeds.
The dash lights can be dimmed or turned off by rotating the light switch knob. If they don't work the rehostat is probably NG. The dash light wire then can be hooked up to the tail light terminal on the light switch. The dash lights will then work when ever the tail lights are on - but will not be able to be dimmed.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I repair car clocks. Most of the clocks used in '47 were windups. A few, and I mean very few, were electric.

Contrary to the rumors, I'm making great progress on the bulb. So far I have found 169 things that won't work.---Thomas Edison.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
You can find electric's on Ebay, but they want good money for them...I'd steer away from them...The old "wind-up's" usually work fine ( 30 hour between wind-up's)...The electric clock was an dealer accessory...I see it in the dealer's book of accessories...Part #986096 listed $12.75 back then...If you're having problems with what you have...Send R_F a more detailed PM..Good Luck...Kevin

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
There was no dash switch for the back-up lights. The switch was located under the hood on the shift linkage. Perhaps you have an aftermarket lamp..
The heat switch is for the under seat heater. Should also have a defroster switch.
The wipers are vacuum operated (when they work) and have a full range of speeds.
The dash lights can be dimmed or turned off by rotating the light switch knob. If they don't work the rehostat is probably NG. The dash light wire then can be hooked up to the tail light terminal on the light switch. The dash lights will then work when ever the tail lights are on - but will not be able to be dimmed.
Some folks may have used an under dash switch for the "back-up" light, but there's really no room for it ( i.e. have to add another hole ( If you don't already have the correct heater/defroster/foglight/ access. switch's already in place ) ...Several companies made back-up switches that hook to the steering column ( under the hood ), like Gene said...But, check Ebay...You'll find at least two different kinds...One's a cable type...Can't recall the name...Besides, you can easily forget to turn it off and drive around with it left on... laugh Expect to pay between $30-$40 dollars for one one Ebay...NOS... Good Luck, Kevin

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Like Gene said...Your new to this site...There are some other sites you can see the manuals for free...Your horn problem is probably the rubber ring that goes behind the horn assembly...FS sells a "Steel Rubber Co." one for about $28 dollars...There are some adjustments to be made as well...

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Be carefull when buying from e-bay,I purchessed an electric clock and when receiving it the box said just that but when I looked at the unit it was a 30 hour wind up...very nice nos clock though so I did kept it

#484963 09/01/23 06:46 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Sorry I didn't complete my post, it`s a Rochester 2 Barrel on a `64 chevy 283". Top part ok, my inlet is stripped on carb. Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.