Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Battery in the 41 is now 5 years old. I have kept it on a trickle charger. It reads just over 6 volts when sitting. When I crank over the engine it drops to about 5.7 volts. Is this showing that everything is still healthy? Currently we do not have any issues other than the occasional time it is a little hard starting (generally due to me improperly using the choke). We have noticed that the amp meter in the car does not read in the center when we first turn the key like it always used to, it is just slightly to the discharge side of it. Rarely is it ever on the charge side even when driving.

We just had an issue with the charging system on my 87. After walking oldest through troubleshooting that we looked at the 41. Unfortunately in this department I know more about alternators and 12v expected values than 6v systems.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Leave it off the charger for at least a day and then check voltage. Or turn the headlights on for 2 minutes after you take it off the charger. That will eliminate any “surface charge”. Turn the lights off and check voltage.

I assume you are doing the cranking voltage test with the ignition off. Measure the voltage while cranking the engine for at least 10 but no more that n 15 seconds.

My initial thought is that your battery is getting marginal. A fully charged 6 volt battery should read 6.3 volts.

On the other hand if the voltage does not go below 5.7 under extended cranking it seems to be holding up fairly well.

The other point I have learned is that you get a better reading with an analog voltage meter under a dynamic situation like the cranking test. With a digital meter the readings are limited by how quickly the display refreshes.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Leaving it off the charger for a few days produces the same readings. I suspect it is age getting to it.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I got about 6+ years out of the NAPA battery in my ‘37. I did not realize that it was declining in performance until after I installed the new battery. I was amazed how quickly it started.

The deterioration in cranking speed was so gradual over a couple of years that it seemed “normal”.

As my Mother used to say “You get used to hanging if you hang long enough.”

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Mine is a NAPA battery and has been in there since 2018. Looks like age may be the issue. I never have thought about how fast it spins over as long as it starts. Just always thought if it is 6v it spins slower. Nearing the end of the season so I will not buy a new one until next year. Makes no sense to have added months due to sitting in the garage.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.