Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#485992 10/05/23 01:34 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Probably an obvious question - my 38 MD had an AC Fuel Filter installed at some point. It has started leaking and I am looking at replacing it.

It was installed with the glass bowl on the bottom - is this correct? I ask because the bowl on the fuel pump is on the top.

Thanks

Originally owned by my Great Grandfather. Restored by my Dad. Now up to me to keep it going.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, for that type the bowl is to the bottom.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
That's what I thought - figured I would check.

Didn't want to assume it was done correctly back in the day.

Thanks

Originally owned by my Great Grandfather. Restored by my Dad. Now up to me to keep it going.
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Where is the leak? Might just need to make a gasket for it. Or add a bit of Teflon tape.

Richard
Waverly, IA
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
It had a leak at the fitting to the carburetor. It also needs a new gasket for the glass bowl. I ordered a new one from Filling Station but it was the wrong size. The unit I have is the smaller AC part. The things you find on an 85 year old car.

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. I recently had the same problem of gas leaking at the pipe joint fitting. The pot metal disintegrated and I had to get a new one. I believe the ceramic and paper filter are equal in removing debris from the fuel. The Glass bowl will remove condensation and show you when it does. The modern fuel filters will let water pass thru to the carb.
. . Lou .
. .

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.