Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SeanE Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I’m trying to re-capture some of my childhood with the ‘54 3100 that my grandfather bought new. Unfortunately it is long gone but I found one very similar that I’m beginning to restore. It is a five window with the four-speed floor shift tranny. My first question is about the serial number. I’ve read numerous things online about decoding what it means but the order of it seems to be backward, with the build sequence number first… and the letters designating where it was built, model year, and what model it t is last. Has anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Attached Images
IMG_9471.jpeg IMG_9496.jpeg

Sean E
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
My impression is that you have a replacement tag. Given the overall condition of the truck that plate is in excellent condition. The other clue is that the rivets are not the original style. A third clue is the “X” at the end. Chevy never ended ID numbers with that character.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
SeanE Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for the quick reply. I wondered about that also considering the condition of the tag and the odd rivets. I found sources online indicating Chevrolet did actually use the code X but only referring to 6500 and 6505 series trucks. But that wouldn’t be consistent with the tag indicating 4800 GVW rating. Oh well, at least I have an Oklahoma title with that number so I don’t have to fight that battle.

Sean E
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I agree with your assessment about having a title that matches the tag. Don’t mess with success!

Rusty

VCCA #44680

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.