Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#484269 08/12/23 05:58 PM
ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just replaced the top head on my 33 1.5 ton truck, after the last on broke a valve guide and bent a pushrod. The new head is from a parts truck, isn’t cracked- all good to go. I installed all new gaskets and a fresh set of rocker arms.

Upon starting it, it’s all of a sudden overheating. Where before, it would sit at 100-120 degrees on a 90 degree day, Now it boils over going down the block. The water pump is rebuilt and working, and it’s running at 160-180 idling. I flushed the block and radiator and some bits of material came out, then it made two trips around the block, didn’t boil over but was about about to, and still got up over 200.

I’m down to thinking it’s a radiator issue, and plan to flush the system again to see if anything comes of it. Any other suggestions? Nothing is leaking from the hose, head, or anywhere else.

Adam

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Do you have a thermostat installed? Is it opening? Hendo

Hendo #484285 08/12/23 10:44 PM
ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
No thermostat- it’s all stock and doesn’t have one. We pulled back on the radiator to get the hood off, and I’m wondering if I cracked a seal- seems to be a radiator issue (best guess at the moment) Trying all options before shelling out radiator money.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Check the head for flow, it might have rust in it. These early engines only have 1/2 a water jacket, they run hot as it is. Hendo

Hendo #484306 08/13/23 11:23 AM
ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Flow seemed to be good with the first flush. As I mentioned, the engine ran super cool before replacing the top head- so it running this hot is unusual.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
If the engine ran real cool before head replacement... then the used head Has to have Rust clogging the small passages in it... a flush will NOT get those rust particles dislodged from the new(used) head..... you will have to remove the head and run wire through all the water channels.... flushing does not get the big, stuck rust out.....

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I plan to let it run for a while and point a temp gun at parts of the head to see if it’s cooling evenly. Not sure if it will tell me much- but figure it is worth trying to confirm the issue before tearing it all down.

I may also just repair the old head and switch back- we replaced it so I could get around to repairing the other down the road and keep driving, but maybe that day has come sooner than expected.

Can anyone confirm what size intake valve a 1933 207 needs? Looks like my best place to find a valve and valve guide may be eBay.

If all that goes through, and the old head is on and it still overheats, O believe that will confirm that I have a radiator issue. Then, I’ll spend radiator money.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Adam,
It is not possible for your engine to run at 100-120 degrees regardless of the outside temperature. You might have a faulty gauge. 160-180 would be an excellent range for cruising or idling temperature. If your truck is puking at temps around 200, you have a circulation problem. Your "new, used" head might have released its rust into your radiator.
I might have new valves for your truck. If not, Bob Marx at Marxparts, in Wisconsin, will have them. Bob is a frequent contributor here.
Call me anytime at 573 864 6539. I am in Columbia, Missouri. My direct email is below.

Mike Russell

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Mike- I'll assume a faulty gauge- showing temps, just not accurately. I'm assuming the same- loose rust from the used head has gotten into the radiator. It seems to be more of a radiator issue than a head issue at this point. Any tips on how to rid the radiator of any newly added gunk- just keep flushing with a hose until it seems nothing is coming out?

I've purchased items form Bob in the past, I'll reach out to either of you if I go the route of repairing the previous head and need valves.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Did you check the new head gasket to make sure it matched the holes pattern in the old one? Is it possible to install the head gasket "backwards" on this engine? That could block coolant passages.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I don’t believe I installed the gasket wrong, or backward- but now I’m second guessing everything!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Sorry that I am not familiar with the details of this particular engine and head. What I do know is that I have worked on a couple of engines where it is easy to installed the head gasket incorrectly. In one of them it blocked the oil passage to the overhead cam bearings. In another it blocked the cooling passages.

The fact that you did not have the overheating until you installed the different head is a factor to consider.

Last edited by Rusty 37 Master; 08/14/23 01:26 PM. Reason: More Info

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I just checked the old head and old gasket – doesn't appear that there's anyway we could have installed it upside down or backward. It's symmetrical, and there's only one way to install it to line up the bolt pattern. I was hoping that may be it.

And, I agree, the head is the main difference of before vs. after. I cleaned it out pretty well before install, but wondering if bits of rust still somehow mad it way into the radiator. At a loss currently.

ABowlin Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
After a solid flush using flushing component, I was able to find the source of what was blocking the head and radiator, thus leading to overheating.

Turns out when you have 7-8 cockleburrs in the system, they can clog things up pretty good! They must have clung in there tightly and after soaking for a week finally let go. I did one final flush to ensure everything came out, and it now appears to be running cooler. Went on a small 12 mile loop and no water leak and the temp never rose above 180. Temps were only in the high 70’s outside, so curious on how she does when it’s warmer.

Thanks for all of your tips.

Adam

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Adam,
Glad to hear you are back on the road.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.