Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
sfcavco Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Help. After a frame off restoration, I have recently remounted the engine in my "36 Chevy, and I noticed that the back edge of the bell housing is not parallel to front side of the transmission crossmember on the frame when viewed from the underside of the car. The engine mounted without any issues, and all the mounts and holes lined up perfectly.
When I run the car (on jack stands) I can see the drive shaft jumping about 3/16 " from left to right. I have loosened all the mounting bolts, and removed the transmission bolts, but I am unable to rotate the engine so that my two reference points are parallel. The engine is rotated on the horizontal axis about 1-2 degrees in a clockwise position when viewed from the top of the car.
My question is: Is this within normal limits?, and do you think I can run the car with the engine in this position without damaging anything?
Thanks, Steve

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I think that I would begin bt loosening all tne transmisson and engine mounting bolts and see if it centers itself.

Gene Schneider
sfcavco Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Gene, thanks for your comments.
I have done that. I used a small hydraulic jack at the front right of the engine (just in front of the fuel pump), wedged against the frame. it moves a little, but not enough to correct the problem.
I am trying to figure a way of rotating the engine/transmission from the left rear in a counter clockwise direction.
I know the universal joint is designed to take up imperfections in alignment, but I am concerned that over the long haul, something will wear out prematurely. I plan to drive the car, and some of my trips will be long ones.
Steve

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Check the "track" of the front and rear axles to be sure they are parallel and that the rear axle is seated properly.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Check the torque tube by measuring from each each axle at the backing plate to the U-jount end. Bent torque tubes are not unheard of. I have straightened two in the past and know of another that needs it. It is not too difficult with a little torch heat.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
sfcavco Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Chipper and Steve,
Thanks for your response.
The torque tube is straight as measured by your instructions. The rear axel has not been touched, and the car was aligned. It drives very well.
The source of my concern is that the engine is not aligned 90 degrees to the cross member that supports the transmission. When I run the car on jack stands, there is no vibration in the torque tube where it connects to the u joint.
I have owned the car since 1963, and rebuilt the engine in 1964. I don't recall the misalignment when I re installed the motor back then. God know how may times I have been under that car since then, and haven't noticed the discrepancy until now.
My concern is that this may be a problem long term.
Thanks for your suggestions. I am open to any other ideas.
Steve

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I think at this point if there are no issues that are evident it might be best to STOP LOOKING. Drive and enjoy !!

Steve D
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Did you see my rply o looen all the mount bolts and let the engine settle in.

Gene Schneider
sfcavco Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Steve,
I have removed all of the bolts holding the engine and and transmission in place. I ran the engine with the car on jack stands in the rear, and let it run in 3rd gear for half an hour. the holes still line up, and I think the engine is where it wants to be. As Steve said in a previous thread, I guess it's time to stop worrying and and enjoy the car.
Thanks for your input.
Steve

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.