Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#485662 09/24/23 08:03 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi All,
I need some help identifying my Delco Remy Generator. It does have a tag that states "Delco-Remy Factory Authorized Rebuilt Generator No 60U 8K6 Code". It does have an adjustable 3rd brush set up. It also has two terminals which are not marked but I think they are for the field and armature hook ups. It has a circuit breaker attached to the outer housing.
The generator is now on my 31 Sport Coupe. I am not sure if it is a 6 or 12 volt generator. I just recently got the engine running and the Amp gage reads 10 plus amps constantly. I tried to adjust the third brush but no difference was noticed.
Not to get to far ahead of myself but I am considering converting it to a two brush generator with a three post attached voltage regulator???
Any and all help and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Originally Posted by 1931Harlet
Hi All,
I need some help identifying my Delco Remy Generator. It does have a tag that states "Delco-Remy Factory Authorized Rebuilt Generator No 60U 8K6 Code". It does have an adjustable 3rd brush set up. It also has two terminals which are not marked but I think they are for the field and armature hook ups. It has a circuit breaker attached to the outer housing.
The generator is now on my 31 Sport Coupe. I am not sure if it is a 6 or 12 volt generator. I just recently got the engine running and the Amp gage reads 10 plus amps constantly. I tried to adjust the third brush but no difference was noticed.
Not to get to far ahead of myself but I am considering converting it to a two brush generator with a three post attached voltage regulator???
Any and all help and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The 60U was the consolidation of part numbers in a rebuilt unit for Chevrolets 29-39. The Chevrolet number is 1100503. To increase you move the brush away from the motor, decrease towards. I had one being tested on a friends machine and it did the same thing as yours. We moved it around a bit and pushed on the brush and it started adjusting as it should. Not sure if the brush was not seating or what. Try pushing the brush toward the commutator with a wood dowel or something non conductive and see if it starts working.

Dave

Last edited by Dave39MD; 09/24/23 09:28 AM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
That is a universal replaement for1929-1939 models and is basically a 1939 generator.It is air cooled and if a fan type pulley is used it can be pumped up to charge up to 14 amps. (on a 1939 with volt control iwill get up to 29 amps.)
I installed one on my 1934 with a fan type pully and worked very well. It came with instructions for the variousyears) I will search to see if I can find the instruction sheet.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the help guys.
Has anyone taken a 3 brush generator and remove the 3rd brush and installed a voltage regulator? If so, what voltage regulator was used? As stated above, my "rebuilt" generator has a field terminal and an armature terminal. I was thinking of using a 3 terminal voltage regulator that is attached to the generator. Just looking for some advice and help before I start getting into trouble.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I have a regulator in place of the third brush. A gentleman in Bend OR. makes a unit that fits in the space of the third brush. His name is James Peterson and his phone number is 541-389-0438 Email jpetersonbend@yahoo.com. Once installed everything looks original. I have had it for about 5 years with no problems.

Steve D
Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
The Standard generator has a cut out which acts like a diode but no regulator. There is a resistor behind the light switch. This grounds the field when you turn on the lights so you get 10 Amps to power the headlights. If you have a radio or heater, pull the light switch to the first notch and it will give the extra amps. Second notch is parking lights. Third notch is head lights. If you have the radio, heater and lights on at the same time, you need to order one of the optional generators offered by Chevrolet. The largest being a 12 volt alternator in attached photo.

Attached Images
37Volt12.jpg
Last edited by Lou; 12/12/23 06:54 PM. Reason: not finished
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
You do not have to remove the third brush when fitting a regulator on top of the genny or mounting the regulator on the firewall. The third brush limits the generator output which is a nice feature to have to prevent overheating. A generator mounted regulator will have no current control as it only has 2 coils.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have that generator on my 1936 truck and it is connected to regulator. I could look at the wiring and try to figure it out. I just wired it like my auto electric GUY told me to do it.
I could call and ask him how the third brush is set for this type application. Those instructions would have been included with the generator when it was sold. I might have them around. My generator was NOS when I installed it.

Mike

Last edited by 35Mike; 12/12/23 09:48 PM.

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.