Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wesley Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
So i'm working on a 30's Plymouth with over heating issues. I found in the upper passage a tan, rubber like film coating portions of the passage after inspecting with a bore scope. Has anyone seen this before? I suspect somewhere along the line some sealing method was used and failed as it appears the head has been removed possibly to replace the head gasket. A lot of the film is broken up like it dried up and separated and is now stuck some place after running the car which sat for years, i suspect this is my issue. Never the less i need to figure out how to get all this gunk dissolved and removed. I attached several photos of the mystery tan gunk. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Images
20240213092151.jpg 20240213091940.jpg 20240213091834.jpg
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. In the1930s & 40s, Plymouth used last year's Dodge engines. Dodge used a sheet metal tube in the block to get coolant to the rear cylinders. This usually rusted out leaving rust debris at the bottom of the water passage, further exacerbating cooling. While you have the block out of the vehicle and upside down, try to find a chemical to remove the tan gunk. .
. Sorry I didn't exactly answer your question. . Lou

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Starting in about '36 or '37 Plymouth started using a 218 inch engine that they continued to use into the late 1950s. My friend has a 1935 Plymouth PJ which has a smaller displacement. I don't recall its size or the size of previous 6 cylinder models.
I can never tell what I am seeing with those bore scopes and today is no exception. I would take advice from Lou and check out the distribution tube situation. Good luck with your project,

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Wesley Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Ive discovered, by removing a glob of goo and soaking it with alcohol (air break antifreeze) that once the alcohol evaporates, the goo dries up and turns into near gold fish food. The idea is to run a boat load of antifreeze through the block, let it dry and flush it. anyone see anything wrong with this? I've considered gasoline also, havent tested the evaporation theory yet tho.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.